The Truth is, It's Everywhere
Let’s face it, mold is everywhere. It can be found indoors and outdoors. It can enter your home or business through windows, vents and HVAC systems. Mold from outdoors can attach to clothing, shoes, pets and can be carried indoors. It grows anywhere, especially where there is moisture. And the worst part is, it can cause a variety of health effects. Children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems are more likely to suffer the effects mold can have.
Mold’s Best Friend:
Water. Any home or business can quickly become infested with mold with the introduction of a water source, like a roof or plumbing leak. Mold can spread throughout a property in as little as 48-72 hours
Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants and have the potential to cause other health effects.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
“Mold Removal” vs. Remediation
Because mold is everywhere, removing all mold from your home or business is impossible. A qualified restoration company understand the science behind mold and mold growth and knows how to remediate the problem area. So what do you do when you find mold growth in your home or business?
- Step 1: Contact SERVPRO of Henrico 804.288.2525
- Step 2: Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Step 3: Mold Containment
- Step 4: Air Filtration
- Step 5: Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Step 6: Cleaning Contents and Belongings
- Step 7: Restoration
Commercial Cleaning Services
If you are a business owner, or run a particular business that receives a lot of visitors and foot-traffic, you know how important it is to keep your business looking clean and in good shape. A lot of times, you don't have the time to worry about the common wear and tear that gradually soils your office.
When grime, odor, and moisture challenges go beyond the scope of your regular janitorial staff, you should call SERVPRO of Henrico for prompt service. Whether it’s removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can rely on us to make your workspace look its very best.
SERVPRO of Henrico County offer cleaning services ranging from cleaning restaurant hoods to removing biohazard contaminants. We have the specialized training and products to get your property back to business. Our cleaning services include the following:
- Air Ducts and HVAC
- Biohazard and Sewage
- Trauma and Crime Scene
- Carpet and Upholstrey
- Drapes and Blinds
- Ceilings, Walls and Hard Floors
- Odor Removal and Deordorization
Understanding the Mold Remediation Process
At SERVPRO of Henrico, we understand mold. We understand what causes mold, what necessary steps to take, the right equipment to use, and of course, the prevention of future mold growth.
These steps listed below describe our process and the best practices when it comes to mold remediation.
- Contact SERVPRO of Henrico Immediately 804.288.2525
The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will ask a series of questions to help us determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel.
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
We carefully inspect your property for visible signs of mold. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view. We use various technologies to detect mold and hidden water sources.
- Mold Containment
Our professionals use various containment procedures to prevent the spread of mold. We may use advanced containment procedures like negative air chambers to isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process. All fans and heating and cooling systems will be turned off to prevent the spread of mold.
- Air Filtration
Our specialized filtration equipment allows our Professionals to capture microscopic mold spores out of the air. We utilize powerful “air scrubbers” and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mold spores while the mold remediation is in process.
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. We’ll use antifungal and antimicrobial treatments to eliminate mold colonies and to help prevent new colonies from forming. It may be necessary to remove and dispose of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and carpeting, to remediate heavy mold growth.
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
We clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, clothing, and other restorable items affected by mold. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and disinfect your belongings. We’re also trained to remove odors and deodorization using fogging equipment.
Depending on the level of mold damage, drywall, subfloors, and other building materials may have been removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business. The restoration step gets your home or business back to normal.
ERP for Your Commercial Building
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) is a free assessment of your commercial facility. It is designed to give you all the information you need in an event of an emergency. Our SERVPRO of Henrico Marketing Representatives will come to your facility and record the details and information on their iPads such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. It will also identify the line of command for authorizing work to begin as well as establishing who to call in case of an emergency. Our marketing representative will take pictures of all exits, stairwells, elevators, electrical room, alarm location, water and gas shut off locations and many other detailed information.
The ERP can be accessed through the free mobile app that can be downloaded from the app store. We will also print out a copy of the ERP, if requested, so you always have a hard copy in reach at your office. This service that we provide our clients is has proven to be very help in a fire or water disaster.
Call SERVPRO of Henrico today to inquire about an Emergency Ready Profile for your facility! This free assessment of your building will help save you time in an event of a disaster and established SERVPRO of Henrico as your fire and water mitigation and reconstruction provider!
Managing Mold in Henrico
Molds are found in every environment, and mold spores reproduce rapidly when moisture is present. With the introduction to moisture, mold can quickly spread in as little as 48 hours.
SERVPRO of Henrico professionals handle water damages every day and know prompt action is required to prevent mold growth, if there is an ongoing moisture problem in the building, be alert for:
- The presence of visible mold
- Strong, musty odors, which may indicate mold is present
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth
- Excessive humidity.
These conditions may require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.
SERVPRO of Henrico cares about proper restoration of your structure and, in most water damage situations, can safely restore your building to preloss condition.
Everything You Need To Know For Power Outages
This summer, we have seen some major power outages across the nation. Power outages can not only be dangerous to you and your family, but they can also cause immense stress if you are not properly prepared.
According to ready.gov:
Before a Power Outage:
- Build or restock your emergency preparedness kit, including a flashlight, batteries, cash, and first aid supplies.
- Make sure you have alternative charging methods for your phone or any device that requires power.
- Charge cell phones and any battery powered devices.
- Know where the manual release lever of your electric garage door opener is located and how to operate it.
- Purchase ice or freeze water-filled plastic containers to help keep food cold during a temporary power outage.
- Keep your car’s gas tank full-gas stations rely on electricity to power their pumps. If you use your car to re-charge devices, do NOT keep the car running in a garage, partially enclosed space, or close to a home, this can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Learn about the emergency plans that have been established in your area by visiting your state’s or local website so you can locate the closest cooling and warming shelters.
- If you rely on anything that is battery-operated or power dependent like a medical device determine a back-up plan.
During a Power Outage
- Only use flashlights for emergency lighting, candles can cause fires.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. Most food requiring refrigeration can be kept safely in a closed refrigerator for several hours. An unopened refrigerator will keep food cold for about 4 hours. A full freezer will keep the temperature for about 48 hours.
- Take steps to remain cool if it is hot outside. In intense heat when the power may be off for a long time, consider going to a movie theater, shopping mall or “cooling shelter” that may be open in your community. If you remain at home, move to the lowest level of your home, since cool air falls. Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing. Drink plenty of water, even if you do not feel thirsty.
- Put on layers of warm clothing if it is cold outside. Never burn charcoal for heating or cooking indoors. Never use your oven as a source of heat. If the power may be out for a prolonged period, plan to go to another location (the home of a relative or friend, or a public facility) that has heat to keep warm.
- Turn off or disconnect appliances and other equipment in case of a momentary power “surge” that can damage computers and other devices. Consider adding surge protectors.
- If you are considering purchasing a generator for your home, consult an electrician or engineer before purchasing and installing.
- Only use generators away from your home and NEVER run a generator inside a home or garage, or connect it to your home's electrical system.
If you experience a water damage after a storm, call SERVPRO of Henrico at 804.288.2525 to remediate your damage and restore you home to pre-storm damage condition.
SERVPRO of Henrico is IICRC Certified
How do you know a water restoration technician is the real deal? Just check to see if they are IICRC Certified. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification is a certification and standard-setting nonprofit organization for the inspection, cleaning and restoration industries.
Luckily, all SERVPRO of Henrico technicians are required to be IICRC certified. Certified professionals in the industry can quickly reverse the extensive damage that a flood or sewage backflow can cause, and save as many items as possible in the process. As soon as our professional technicians are on site, they will assess the situation and determine what items need immediate rescuing.
It is important to use a certified professional because the amount of damage that a water damage an produce is often underestimated by homeowners. Water will always go deeper than the surface. A lot of times homeowners will try to handle the cleanup themselves, however, they forget about the unseen water damage that gets trapped in the carpet pads and subfloors. Bring in a certified SERVPRO of Henrico technician as soon as possible to clean the home, dry it, and ensure there are no lingering health threats once the moisture is gone.
Severe Weather - Tornado Season
Luckily, in Henrico, VA we do not experience the potential threats that tornadoes can have as often as other parts of the country. These places include the upper Mid-west, the northern and southern plains and the Gulf coast.
Tornado season usually refers to the time of year the U.S. sees the most tornadoes. The peak “tornado season” for the Southern Plains is during May into early June. On the Gulf coast, it is earlier during the spring. In the northern plains and upper Midwest, tornado season is in June or July. But, remember, tornadoes can happen at any time of year. Tornadoes can also happen at any time of day or night, but most tornadoes occur between 4–9 p.m.
However, it is always a good idea to be prepared in case a disaster strikes. About 1,200 tornadoes hit the U.S. yearly. Since official tornado records only date back to 1950, we do not know the actual average number of tornadoes that occur each year. Plus, tornado spotting and reporting methods have changed a lot over the last several decades.
SERVPRO of Henrico will respond 24-hours a day to emergency fire and water services. We are a proud partner with the Red Cross and take part in cleaning up damages after a storm. SERVPRO of Henrico is also an extreme team, meaning we can travel across the country to assist with a storm damage or very large loss. We have the tools and the people who have experience in water, storm, fire damage restoration and we are always here to help.
A list of questions and answers about tornadoes can be found here.
We Can Handle Any Size Disaster
Over the weekend a very well-known restaurant located in downtown Richmond went up in flames. The fire started in the second-floor kitchen late in the night and spread throughout the entire building. Even the basement was severely affected by fire, water and smoke damage. Our SERVPRO of Henrico crew quickly sprang into action to begin the cleanup process as soon as possible.
When SERVPRO of Henrico deals with a large commercial loss, organization and efficiency is key. As seen in the displayed picture, our crews carefully pack up affected contents and document each item that is packed into boxes. Everything that will be handled is recorded and packaged carefully to be transported back to the warehouse where they will be cleaned, sanitized and delivered back to the customer.
Because we are a 24-hour emergency service company, we can begin services as soon as the disaster strikes. We have the necessary tools and equipment, as well as a large group of professionals who know exactly what needs to be done to properly restore the commercial building.
Sewage Cleanup and Restoration
Sewage back-ups and toilet overflows are some of the most common issues home and business owners can experience. Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous. The water is grossly unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness.
Special training and equipment is necessary to safely clean this type of contamination. That’s why it is important to call the professionals who have over 30 years of experience cleaning up these types of issues. SERVPRO of Henrico understands that there are three major types of contaminated water and the necessary steps to handle each scenario. SERVPRO of Henrico will inspect that contaminated water to determine the type of water and then plan the appropriate response to safely restore your home or business.
The Three Types of Water
Category 1: Clean Water
- Water from a clean source like a broken water line
- If left untreated, can degrade into category 2 or 3
Category 2: Gray Water
- May contain bacteria and viruses - may include washing machine overflow; toilet overflow with some urine, but no feces; or dishwasher overflow.
- Can quickly degrade into category 3 if left untreated.
Category 3: Black Water
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
If your home or business experiences a sewage issue, it should be treated as quickly as possible. Call SERVPRO of Henrico at 804.288.2525 and our professionals will respond 24 hours a day for emergency services.