September is National Preparedness Month
Hurricane Harvey has ripped through Texas leaving massive flooding and destruction in it's path. Now more than ever it is important to be prepared before a storm hits.
September is recognized as National Preparedness Month to remind everyone that “we must all take action, now and throughout the year, for the types of emergencies that could affect us where we live, work, and also where we visit,” (ready.gov).
With the recent flooding in Louisiana in mind, the last thing you want to worry about is how to communicate and what to do during a disaster like this horrific event that killed hundreds and left many families without homes.
What you can do:
- Make A Family Plan – you may not be together with your family during a disaster.
- Set up emergency alerts from local officials
- Discuss family plans for disasters and plan where to go for safety.
- Collect information on paper including, phone numbers, emails, social media, medical facilities, doctors, service providers, school
- Decide on safe, familiar places where your family can go for protection and if you have pets think about animal-friendly locations
- Take Action – ensure you can go for at least 3 days without electricity, water service, access to supermarket, or other local services
- Prepare a disaster supply kit (water, food, battery-powered radio, flashlight, first aid kit, whistle, local maps)
- Bookmark weather.gov to stay informed on severe weather
- Learn about wireless emergency alerts, messages that will be sent to your phone during an emergency
Consider the following disasters that can occur at any time: Learn more about hazards which can affect your community and ways you can take action to prepare.
- Earthquakes – can occur suddenly and be deadly. Most earthquake-related casualties result from collapsing walls, flying glass, and falling objects.
- Floods - Flooding is the most common natural disaster in the United States and can happen anywhere.
- Hurricanes - have the power to cause widespread devastation, and can affect both coastal and inland areas.
- Tornadoes - are one of nature’s most violent storms, and can cause death, injury, and destruction within seconds.
- Wildfires - can occur anywhere and can destroy homes, businesses, infrastructure, natural resources, and agriculture.
Fireline Contents Restoration - Our New System
SERVPRO of Henrico has recently adopted the FIRELINE system, which has become the most widely used contents restoration production system in the industry. We are always looking for the best tools in the industry to satisfy our customer’s needs and provide them with the best results possible.
What is FIRELINE?
The FIRELINE Contents Restoration cleaning system is designed to thoroughly clean contents affected by soot, smoke damage, and other contaminants. This state-of-the-art, stainless steel construction delivers the ultimate in durability and efficiency, while utilizing the latest advancements in ultrasonic technology. FIRELINE provides consistent, high-quality cleaning results and high-volume production. It also comes equipped with specifically crafted contents baskets to cut down on damages caused by manually handling contents.
The Four Stations
The FIRELINE production system includes APW 4800 Pre-washer, APC 4800 Ultrasonic Cleaners and Oversize RDS 4800 Rinse Detail Station. Each of these units can accommodate three contents baskets simultaneously. The system also includes the TD 8000 High Volume Tunnel Dryer. Designed to keep up with FIRELINE’s high flow production rate, the Tunnel Dryer accommodates up to four contents baskets at a time.
After cleaning the affected contents, each item is carefully wrapped and placed in a specific labeled box to be delivered back to the customer. Trust the experts at SERVPRO of Henrico to professionally clean your contents with precision and care!
The Truth is, It's Everywhere
Let’s face it, mold is everywhere. It can be found indoors and outdoors. It can enter your home or business through windows, vents and HVAC systems. Mold from outdoors can attach to clothing, shoes, pets and can be carried indoors. It grows anywhere, especially where there is moisture. And the worst part is, it can cause a variety of health effects. Children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems are more likely to suffer the effects mold can have.
Mold’s Best Friend:
Water. Any home or business can quickly become infested with mold with the introduction of a water source, like a roof or plumbing leak. Mold can spread throughout a property in as little as 48-72 hours
Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants and have the potential to cause other health effects.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
“Mold Removal” vs. Remediation
Because mold is everywhere, removing all mold from your home or business is impossible. A qualified restoration company understand the science behind mold and mold growth and knows how to remediate the problem area. So what do you do when you find mold growth in your home or business?
- Step 1: Emergency Contact SERVPRO of Henrico 804.288.2525
- Step 2: Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
- Step 3: Mold Containment
- Step 4: Air Filtration
- Step 5: Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
- Step 6: Cleaning Contents and Belongings
- Step 7: Restoration
Carpet and Rug Cleaning - New System
As you may know, SERVPRO of Henrico is widely known for handling fire, water and mold damages professionally and effectively. But, what some people forget is that we offer numerous of other services to home and business owners as well!
Carpet and rug cleaning is a service that we deal with on a day-to-day basis. Even the highest-quality carpet and rugs can show soiling over time. It is important to clean your carpets and rugs regularly, especially ones that have a high traffic rate. As a general rule, you should have your carpets and rugs professionally cleaned every 12 to 18 months. However, children and pets are huge factors that contribute to ware and tare and staining of your carpets and may require a more frequent cleaning. The IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning & Restoration Certification) states that 79% of soil in carpet is dry soil. Vacuuming regularly is key to proper care and maintenance. However, just vacuuming every once in a while is not enough to get a good deep down clean.
We offer a range of specialized cleaning methods such as:
- Bonnet Cleaning: A less aggressive method for short piled carpets
- Hot Water Extraction: A deeper cleaning method for all carpet types
- Deluxe Precondition and Rinse: Helps restore deeply soiled areas
- Showcase Premier Cleaning: The most thorough cleaning method in the industry
- Dry Cleaning: when color-fastness is an issue
Because we understand that our customer’s rugs are a very valuable material in their homes and business, SERVPRO of Henrico is excited to announce a brand new rug cleaning system!
This new state-of-the-art rug cleaning system offers our customers the opportunity to drop off their rugs at the SERVPRO of Henrico office location to be professionally cleaned. With this new system it will allow us to expand our already wide customer rug cleaning services to our residential customers with our new drop off rug service. The system comes equipped with a very large rug cleaning machine, which removes over 90% of moisture from rugs of almost any thickness in 3 minutes or less. This allows even heavy and dense textiles such as ninety-line hand-knotted Oriental rugs, to be processed quickly and efficiently. It also provides an electric hoist system that easily hangs the rugs for efficient drying and storage.
SERVPRO of Henrico will put into effect this new system within the next two weeks and will begin accepting drop off rug cleaning services. For more information, please contact our office at 804.288.2525.
Everything You Need To Know For Power Outages
This summer, we have seen some major power outages across the nation. Power outages can not only be dangerous to you and your family, but they can also cause immense stress if you are not properly prepared.
According to ready.gov:
Before a Power Outage:
- Build or restock your emergency preparedness kit, including a flashlight, batteries, cash, and first aid supplies.
- Make sure you have alternative charging methods for your phone or any device that requires power.
- Charge cell phones and any battery powered devices.
- Know where the manual release lever of your electric garage door opener is located and how to operate it.
- Purchase ice or freeze water-filled plastic containers to help keep food cold during a temporary power outage.
- Keep your car’s gas tank full-gas stations rely on electricity to power their pumps. If you use your car to re-charge devices, do NOT keep the car running in a garage, partially enclosed space, or close to a home, this can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Learn about the emergency plans that have been established in your area by visiting your state’s or local website so you can locate the closest cooling and warming shelters.
- If you rely on anything that is battery-operated or power dependent like a medical device determine a back-up plan.
During a Power Outage
- Only use flashlights for emergency lighting, candles can cause fires.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. Most food requiring refrigeration can be kept safely in a closed refrigerator for several hours. An unopened refrigerator will keep food cold for about 4 hours. A full freezer will keep the temperature for about 48 hours.
- Take steps to remain cool if it is hot outside. In intense heat when the power may be off for a long time, consider going to a movie theater, shopping mall or “cooling shelter” that may be open in your community. If you remain at home, move to the lowest level of your home, since cool air falls. Wear lightweight, light-colored clothing. Drink plenty of water, even if you do not feel thirsty.
- Put on layers of warm clothing if it is cold outside. Never burn charcoal for heating or cooking indoors. Never use your oven as a source of heat. If the power may be out for a prolonged period, plan to go to another location (the home of a relative or friend, or a public facility) that has heat to keep warm.
- Turn off or disconnect appliances and other equipment in case of a momentary power “surge” that can damage computers and other devices. Consider adding surge protectors.
- If you are considering purchasing a generator for your home, consult an electrician or engineer before purchasing and installing.
- Only use generators away from your home and NEVER run a generator inside a home or garage, or connect it to your home's electrical system.
If you experience a water damage after a storm, call SERVPRO of Henrico at 804.288.2525 to remediate your damage and restore you home to pre-storm damage condition.
SERVPRO of Henrico Is IICRC Certified
How do you know a water restoration technician is the real deal? Just check to see if they are IICRC Certified. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification is a certification and standard-setting nonprofit organization for the inspection, cleaning and restoration industries.
Luckily, all SERVPRO of Henrico technicians are required to be IICRC certified. Certified professionals in the industry can quickly reverse the extensive damage that a flood or sewage backflow can cause, and save as many items as possible in the process. As soon as our professional technicians are on site, they will assess the situation and determine what items need immediate rescuing.
It is important to use a certified professional because the amount of damage that a water damage an produce is often underestimated by homeowners. Water will always go deeper than the surface. A lot of times homeowners will try to handle the cleanup themselves, however, they forget about the unseen water damage that gets trapped in the carpet pads and subfloors. Bring in a certified SERVPRO of Henrico technician as soon as possible to clean the home, dry it, and ensure there are no lingering health threats once the moisture is gone.
Molds are found in every environment, and mold spores reproduce rapidly when moisture is present. With the introduction to moisture, mold can quickly spread in as little as 48 hours.
SERVPRO of Henrico professionals handle water damages every day and know prompt action is required to prevent mold growth, if there is an ongoing moisture problem in the building, be alert for:
- The presence of visible mold
- Strong, musty odors, which may indicate mold is present
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth
- Excessive humidity.
These conditions may require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.
SERVPRO of Henrico cares about proper restoration of your structure and, in most water damage situations, can safely restore your building to preloss condition.
ERP for Your Commercial Building
The SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) is a free assessment of your commercial facility. It is designed to give you all the information you need in an event of an emergency. Our SERVPRO of Henrico Marketing Representatives will come to your facility and record the details and information on their iPads such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. It will also identify the line of command for authorizing work to begin as well as establishing who to call in case of an emergency. Our marketing representative will take pictures of all exits, stairwells, elevators, electrical room, alarm location, water and gas shut off locations and many other detailed information.
The ERP can be accessed through the free mobile app that can be downloaded from the app store. We will also print out a copy of the ERP, if requested, so you always have a hard copy in reach at your office. This service that we provide our clients is has proven to be very help in a fire or water disaster.
Call SERVPRO of Henrico today to inquire about an Emergency Ready Profile for your facility! This free assessment of your building will help save you time in an event of a disaster and established SERVPRO of Henrico as your fire and water mitigation and reconstruction provider!
Understanding the Mold Remediation Process
At SERVPRO of Henrico, we understand mold. We understand what causes mold, what necessary steps to take, the right equipment to use, and of course, the prevention of future mold growth.
These steps listed below describe our process and the best practices when it comes to mold remediation.
- Contact SERVPRO of Henrico Immediately 804.288.2525
The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call us. Our representative will ask a series of questions to help us determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel.
- Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
We carefully inspect your property for visible signs of mold. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view. We use various technologies to detect mold and hidden water sources.
- Mold Containment
Our professionals use various containment procedures to prevent the spread of mold. We may use advanced containment procedures like negative air chambers to isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process. All fans and heating and cooling systems will be turned off to prevent the spread of mold.
- Air Filtration
Our specialized filtration equipment allows our Professionals to capture microscopic mold spores out of the air. We utilize powerful “air scrubbers” and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mold spores while the mold remediation is in process.
- Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. We’ll use antifungal and antimicrobial treatments to eliminate mold colonies and to help prevent new colonies from forming. It may be necessary to remove and dispose of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and carpeting, to remediate heavy mold growth.
- Cleaning Contents and Belongings
We clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, clothing, and other restorable items affected by mold. We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and disinfect your belongings. We’re also trained to remove odors and deodorization using fogging equipment.
Depending on the level of mold damage, drywall, subfloors, and other building materials may have been removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet; or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business. The restoration step gets your home or business back to normal.
Commercial Cleaning Services
If you are a business owner, or run a particular business that receives a lot of visitors and foot-traffic, you know how important it is to keep your business looking clean and in good shape. A lot of times, you don't have the time to worry about the common wear and tear that gradually soils your office.
When grime, odor, and moisture challenges go beyond the scope of your regular janitorial staff, you should call SERVPRO of Henrico for prompt service. Whether it’s removing an odor problem or deep cleaning flooring or carpets, you can rely on us to make your workspace look its very best.
SERVPRO of Henrico County offer cleaning services ranging from cleaning restaurant hoods to removing biohazard contaminants. We have the specialized training and products to get your property back to business. Our cleaning services include the following: